About The Foster and District Historical Society Inc.
click for entry details of Photography Exhibition
Check Recent Posts on this pagefor other items
The Foster and District Historical Society (previously the South Gippsland Historical Society) was formed on 3 August 1973.
Address: Main Street, Foster, Vic 3960, Australia.
We operate a volunteer-run museum situated in the Main Street of Foster, Victoria. See how the district developed from the discovery of gold in 1870, the growth of the dairy and fishing industries, the establishment of Wilsons Promontory National Park in 1906 – Victoria’s first National Park, to the thriving district of the 21st century.
The museum complex comprises:
- the former Foster Post Office, built in 1890
- Agnes State School (100 yrs in 2012) but the building itself is much older
- a furnished pioneer cottage and bark hut,
- a wooden model of Foster in the 1940s and 50s,
- the former Foster Gaol (decommissioned in 2009!)
- the boat belonging to gold-seeker H.B. Lasseter
- and the post-war prefabricated building – now Crawford Hall – is the old Yanakie School
… all set in a terraced garden below Kaffir Hill, a former gold-mining site.
Foster and District Historical Society members undertake research of the local area and have written a number of local histories.
All are available from the Society for marked prices, plus postage. View our publications available on line.
Meg Rogers (President), Dr Liz Rushen (Editor), Jennifer Jones (Curator) & Howard Plowright (Committee Member) were delighted to receive a grant of $3000 from the Shire of South Gippsland towards the publication of their new book, Prom Country: a history. Copies of the book are available from the Foster museum, or by clicking publications to purchase on-line.
Next meeting Tuesday 1st December 2015 Christmas Dinner, Crawford Hall.
Check Members page from time to time & don’t forget Newsletters.